Sunday, February 8, 2015

Trees We Met at Camotes Islands






These trees were new to us so we were quite amazed with their beauties. They were not that tall and they were easy to climb. We did took our chances and tested how strong their branches were. These trees should be sturdy enough to survive countless storms, heavy rains and the violent sun. They survived our weights and that should be proof enough.






And look at those roots. Can you believe that they were pandan roots? We grow pandan in our backyard but I never thought they can grow their roots as high as those. Pandans at home never grow half of my height. Maybe because a merchant used to visit them every month to collect their young tops.We, too, used their leaves when cooking rice to make it smell delicious. Or this can be another species of Pandan. I mean a giant one, just like coconuts have dwarf varieties.



And here comes the Pandan fruit. The color is green when it is not ripe. I research the net and found out that they are edible. They can be propagated by their seeds or through their branches. Yes, they can multiply so easily but they can be scary to look at especially when they stand in groups. Seriously, if I am alone I will not bother to go near or even stare at them. 




Another variety that catches my attention was the "BITOON" tree. I cannot find it on the net but then my father told me it's local name. It was a common variety in the past but due to some improvements made on our shoreline these trees were no longer standing.




What attracts us the most were the flowers scattered on the ground. They were beautiful that we picked them up and pose for a perfect photo. And then wen we looked up we saw heart shaped fruits with prominent edges. There are fives edges that made it look like a star from afar. That should be the reason why old folks called them Bitoon. "Bitoon" is a Visayan dialect which means "star". I am "bisaya" so you can trust me on this translation.





Accordingly, these trees used to lined at our shores. Their mature fruits used to flock the seas. From color green, it will turn yellow when it's ripe and then it will turn brown when dead. They can float and they are unbreakable. They can survive the seas and I can attest that you cannot crack it open no matter how hard you throw them on the ground. I had tried it once when one of my cousins challenged me into it, taking advantage of my innocence.






No comments:

Post a Comment